Dear children and parents
Welcome to the new school year for Year 2 in Windmill Class.
This term our learning theme is The Sea and we have many exciting learning opportunities to look forward to. Some useful information is given below, but if there is anything else you would like to know, please ask.
- Library will continue to be open for children to choose books on Thursday mornings before school. If you have any books at home that the children have had for a while please send them back in.
- Please check your child's PE kit. They will need a t-shirt, shorts, jogging bottoms and trainers (all clearly named, please). Long hair needs to be tied back for PE lessons. On Mondays this term, the children will have netball skills coaching from Bristol Sports and on Friday afternoons we will have either multi-skills outside as weather permits or dance in the hall.
- Mrs Westerwijk will be teaching the class on Tuesday afternoons. For this term she will be teaching RE and music.
- Mrs Rose is in class to support us each morning and will be working with some children on some afternoons. She will have a dedicated time for home learning support and is happy to put together home learning kits for anyone who would like to support their child with a range of subjects. Please meet up with Mrs Rose to discuss any requirements. This is not just for curriculum learning but if there is anything that your child needs support with we might be able to help.
- Please read as much as you can with your child outside school. Reading for pleasure is key and it is the most important way you can support your child's overall learning development.
- Please remember that the children should come into class through the conservatory door and put their own things away.
- At the end of the day, please make sure that your child has all their belongings, including their water bottle. We are really trying to eliminate left belongings and lost property and keep our learning environment safe and clear.
- For learning in the conservation area, a pair of wellingtons and a pair of jogging bottoms (if they do not wear long trousers to school) will be needed; the pair in their pe kit will be fine.
- Remember to let us know, either in the morning or call or email the office, if your child is going home with someone else.
With your support, we look forward to a great year in Windmill class.
Mrs Ball, Mrs Rose and Miss Glover
A special plea! Please name all of your child's clothes clearly as it saves you and us a lot of time and energy looking for lost property.
J2e is a safe place for your child to access a suite of tools online. Each child has their own account with a log in and password. We use j2e in school so do investigate what is on offer. If you have any problems with signing in please let me know.
The House System
There are four houses named after children's authors. These are; Morpurgo, Dahl, Rowling and Donaldson. Siblings are in the same house and we have tried our best to make the houses as even as possible, with a fair range of ages and boy/girl mix.
The children take part in house activities during the year and can gain house points (gems in the jar) for many different reasons. There is an award at the end of the year for the winning house.
Homework will be different this year. Besides their reading, there will be a weekly spelling pattern that we are learning so your support to help your child with that will be appreciated. There will also be a list of home learning tasks that you can choose from, which will support both the subject curriculum and the wider school community curriculum too.
Don't forget to take a look at Oxford Owl which has over 200 ebooks and maths activities that can be accessed on a pc or tablet. I have set up a class account- please ask if you do not have the details. Meanwhile, if you would like to use the site you can set up a home account. This is easy and free! www.oxfordowl.co.uk