Ethos and Values
Courage Compassion Curiosity Community
We aspire to be a kind and creative learning community where we support and challenge each other to be the best we can be.
St Mary’s CE VA Primary School aims to be:
“A Caring, Christian, Community Committed To Achievement.”
We aim for all our children to ….
- have a sensitive, considerate and respectful attitude towards others
- understand and appreciate Christian values
- be proud of their school and their achievements
- be able to work co-operatively, collaboratively and independently
- be enthusiastic learners and confident in applying their skills
- develop an enquiry based approach, to become lifelong learners
- have essential skills in literacy, numeracy and information technology
- achieve the highest standards of which they are capable
- extend themselves in mind, body and spirit
To achieve these aims for our children we will ….
- give clear, challenging but achievable objectives that are shared with the child
- complete careful planning which includes continuity, progression and differentiation, using assessment to target learning needs
- provide a stimulating, organised, learning environment with appropriate resources
- give clear instructions; provide achievable tasks, with perceptive teaching and supportive guidance
- ensure all areas of the curriculum are covered for all pupils and provide a variety of activities to challenge and extend learning
- plan opportunities for children to ask questions, teach strategies and provide resources for them to find answers
- use a range of teaching approaches and plan for different learning styles
- involve parents and carers in school life
- promote the development and use of the children’s self evaluation skills
- give praise and recognition for effort, achievement or talent
- give clear guidelines on acceptable and unacceptable behaviour through the behaviour policy and encourage children to take responsibility for their actions
- encourage children to take an active and responsible part in decision-making
- set a good example in the way we behave towards others and give children opportunities to explore Christian values and develop their spirituality
- work together collaboratively as a community and strive for continuous improvement in all we do
Open the Book (5 minute stories told by Bob Hartman):
Value Champion certificates are awarded for children who have consistently shown a school value over the course of a term and have been noticed by members of our school community. Our Value Champion animals travel to children's homes and children record the quality time they have spent with that animal in a diary. Ask to read about their adventures.
Each term the school focuses on one of our Values and Term 3 is focussing on Curiosity.
We focus on our twelve Christian Values over a two year period and these values drive our Collective Worship themes.
Year A - Generosity, Compassion, Courage, Forgiveness, Friendship, Respect
Year B - Thankfulness, Trust, perseverance, justice, Service, Truthfulness
Ethos Committee meetings:
Wednesday 8th July 2020
Wednesday 30th September 2020
Wednesday 20th January 2021